Friday, August 29, 2008

A Cry For Help

I'll just throw this out: does anyone out there in Blogland know anything about bittorrent? Specifically, can anyone download the torrent here and get the files to play? Because it's a show my old band Roaring Mary played in 2001 at the Prism in Charlottesville, and it was broadcast on WTJU, and none of us ever heard it. I've been trying to get this thing to work -- at one point I let the download go for 48 hours -- and I don't know if it's because of my connection or my slow computer or the fact that I'm just not a good enough person, but it's not happening. I've tried emailing the guy who uploaded the files, but his email address isn't working anymore.

To the clever Vaca Estupenda reader who can open these files, convert them from .flac to a civilian format, and get them to me somehow, whether via FTP or YouSendIt or something else, I will reward a brand new copy of Roaring Mary's cd, which is now out of print and incredibly rare.

11 comments:

T said...

...and that person will also earn my eternal thanks. Good idea, Rob! Now let's hope somebody can deliver.

T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T said...

(that deleted post was just an accidental dupe of my first one....)

hsempl said...

hi, i sent your request to my knowledgeable brother-in-law (well, one of them) and unfortunately this was his reply:

"sadly there is no one with this file to DL it from it is an orphan file the only hope is that someone with this file puts it available for DL"

Rob said...

Yeah, a couple of people have explained to me that bittorrent depends on there being a bunch of other people downloading the same thing you are in order to be successful. It works great for Paris Hilton crotch shots, but less so for recordings of obscure Irish music bands from Vriginia. I guess it's a holdover from when most people were on dialup connections.

Maybe a call to WTJU would be in order.

An Briosca Mor said...

A word to the wise: From now on when doing gigs, either engage Paris Hilton to provide crotch shots during the show, or if that proves too expensive then rig up a screen behind the stage and flash Paris Hilton crotch shots at random during the slower pieces. 22nd Century archivists of Irish Traditional Music and the Bald Crotch Craze of the Post-9/11 Era will be eternally grateful. (Once they figure out how to transfer the archival files onto whatever is the format du jour then, of course. Since what goes around comes around, I figure that by then it will probably be acetate cylinders.)

T said...

Geez. Does it *have* to be Paris Hilton? I mean, really. We were a *tasteful* band, and I can think of half a dozen much more likely suspects offhand ;-)

Rob said...

Well, I guess there's always Rachael Ray.

T said...

Ew, ew, ew, ew. I think I have to go soak my eyes in bleach now.

Di said...

Talk about ew - I saw "Bald Crotch Craze" and it somehow turned into "Blazing Crotch" which is a really bad visual....

Anyway, sorry about the download issue :(

Georgi said...

You could contact the original poster (who presumably had the original file) and ask him to re-seed it.

See http://db.etree.org/btet (there's a "contact" link in there that leads to an email address)