Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Coconut Bra Effect

Stop me if I've already told you about this. Oh, right, you can't. Ha. Anyway, about ten years ago, I read an article in the Washington Post that mentioned Josephine Baker, and how she "wowed Paris in a coconut bra."

A couple of days later, I was on the Metro, and I heard a guy behind me saying to his friend, "I don't know, man, I'm afraid I might wake up in a coconut bra or something."

This continued for a few weeks. I kept stumbling on the words "coconut bra" in conversation or in print, and at one point I actually saw a manniquin in a store window wearing, yes, a coconut bra.

This still seems to happen every so often. A random word or concept pops into my awareness (antimaccassars, the eucharist, Vanilla Ice, curling) and keeps showing up for the next month or so. I'm thinking about this now because, well, look what I found in Gene Weingarten's online chat this morning.

Cue the Twin Peaks giant: IT. IS HAPPENING. AGAIN.

7 comments:

Zisbo said...

A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
-- From the film Repo Man

Rob said...

Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Although why the cosmic unconsciousness seems to be in a mood to send me images of women's bodies swathed in raw meat, I have no idea.

zisbo said...

that could be the cosmic sub-consciousness.

An Briosca Mor said...

I never thought there would come a time when I'd actually prefer that slices of bacon not be placed on the plate in front of me. But here it is...

Jeanette said...

First, eeeeuuuuughhhhhh.

And also, http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9330217

hsempl said...

ok, this *is* weird. cause m just told me tonight he'd read about a "vegan strip joint" in oregon (city paper news of the weird). and that got us talking about the whole eating while watching people strip thing. and now this.

weird.

(i *think* i prefer the bacon raw)

mike said...

HOMER: See? I toldja they could deep-fry my shirt.

MARGE: I didn't say they couldn't, I said you shouldn't.