Thursday, December 20, 2007

Buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo

Hey, did you know "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence?

It means "Bison in Buffalo, New York--whom other bison in Buffalo, New York, bamboozle--bamboozle other bison in Buffalo, New York, themselves."


Another poster on the internet forum where I found this interesting bit of information noted the existence of the city of Badger, Iowa (pop. 610). Hence "Badger badgers Badger badgers badger badger Badger badgers."

I should be an ESL teacher.

Ye gods, what a slow, slow day.

6 comments:

Orion said...

Hey, I resemble this remark. As a former proud Buffalonian I can state unequivocally that I have never seen a Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo. It just wouldn't happen. They are just too nice! :)

Rob said...

Are there in fact Buffalo buffalo, either to buffalo Buffalo buffalo or for other Buffalo buffalo to buffalo, or is the name of the city an attempt to buffalo out-of-towners? If the latter is the case, it would be a nifty application of the liar paradox.

The Agrammatical Banjoiste said...

Banjo banjo Banjo banjo banjo banjo Banjo banjo.

Okay, it's not really a sentence, it's just the word banjo, over and over. That's good enough for me.

-Patrick

dukem said...

Um, I think that's banga, banga, banga, banga, etc. - generally at someone's door in the middle of the night.

MD

An Briosca Mor said...

Buffalo? I like their mozzarella. And their wings. And their expatriates, or at least those I've met.

Mike said...

Okay, you can find more repetitive sentences on the Web, but I came up with "Plant's Plants plants Plant's Plants' plants" all by myself.