Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Slightly Overcaffeinated Daylight-Starved Scrooge Mix

  • For the last month, in the cafeteria where I work at the Cosmodemonic Institute for Science Policy, there's been a little boom box by the cash registers playing Bing Crosby. Every cell in my body has screams "NO! NO! NO!" whenever I go down there for a cup of coffee. I'm just now coming to terms with the dismally incontrovertible fact of Autumn, and already you want to rub Christmas in my face? I won't have it, I tell you. I won't.

    You know how the angel got on top of the Christmas tree, right? See, it was November 1st at the North Pole, and Santa Claus was taking down the Halloween decorations, and an angel walked up carrying a Christmas tree and said, "Hey, Mr. Claus, where do you want me to put this?"

    Anyway.

  • Via Pandora, I've discovered the truly magnificent Midnight Evils, the greatest band you've never heard of (albeit only because I've already told you about Pylon). This, by god, is the music I want to play. Loud, violent, fast, unignorable. The wheels coming off. The center not holding. The guitars are probably lethal to mice. The singer sounds like he's filed his teeth. I love this shit. How the hell did I end up playing Irish music?

  • Ruhlman's new Elements of Cooking blog is a thoroughly awesome thing.

  • Along the same but somehow completely different lines, here's a nifty instructional video from the Household Hacker on how to cook an actual turkey in your actual home, using nothing more than an ordinary light bulb and a few DVD-Rs. Just make sure they're dual layer DVD-Rs. That's important.



11 comments:

An Briosca Mor said...

"The singer sounds like he's filed his teeth. I love this shit. How the hell did I end up playing Irish music?"

Might the Pogues have had anything to do with it? (Although I don't think it's a file that's responsible for Shane MacGowan's teeth...)

Rob said...

Well, that actually was a rhetorical question. And I'd been playing for a while before the Pogues emerged. And I didn't much like them at first. And as any Simpsons devotee knows, music comes from what's in your heart, not from what's on your teeth.

An Briosca Mor said...

Definitely true in the case of Shane MacGowan, as he has no teeth. In his case, though, I think most of his music comes from his liver. Or what's left of it, anyway.

T said...

What's up with the weird Portuguese spam comment? Bizarro!

Midnight Evils are cool, from the little clips I could hear on Amazon--they remind me of a male version of the Runaways. Sure as hell better than Bing Crosby, anyway, though judging from those little samples I'm much more a Pylon fan (and I listen to that cd about once a day, by the way).

Did I tell you that the In Tenebris cd I got Jenny is good fun? It doesn't hurt that J & I each have a piercing done by the (pretty hot) singer!

Rob said...

Hm. I think that's only the second spam comment I've gotten in nearly a year of doing Vaca Estupenda, so I won't turn on word verification just yet. (Oh, and "Crescenet:" On the off-chance you're an actual person and not a spambot, your spam has been deleted. Fuck you.)

I don't think we listened to Tenebris in the car, did we? And the Midnight Evils are from St. Paul, Minnesota -- I think we should start a letter-writing campaign to get them booked on Prairie Home Companion.

Rob said...

The one bit of Midnight Evils video I've been able to find is on this installment of a below-the-radar alcohol-themed talk show called Drinking With Ian; they're on at around 22:15. Unfortunately it's after the old singer left, so they don't sound quite so much like ACDC in a 'roid rage.

T said...

Nope, we didn't listen to In Tenebris in the car--it was Jenny's present and still in cellophane, so I figured it'd be tacky to open it. It's mixed a little weirdly--Christina's voice is way out front, or rather, it sounds like she's singing in another county sometimes. I prefer a voice with a little more earth in it, but the band as a whole is so good that I don't mind that. I'll email you a track or three if you'd like.

Rob said...

Well, sure! And I'll slip you some Evil of the Midnight variety.

T said...

Rokk on!

mike said...

Is there something wrong with cooking food in an oven?

Rob said...

Well, maybe your oven might be broken, but you have a lightbulb and a pack of DVD-Rs lying around. As long as they're dual-layer DVD-Rs (and I can't stress that too highly), you can still cook dinner.