Sunday, November 4, 2007

Scrape sand sand scrape scrape scrape sand

Sand sand sand sand sand scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape sand scrape sand sand scrape scrape sand fucking sand sand sand scrape.


The first area I'm working on is the recurve, the thinnest area of the top. When you play a note on a mandolin, it produces ripples throughout the whole top of the instrument. The further the ripples travel, the less energy they have, so the edges of the top need to be thinner to produce the same amount of resonance as the area under the bridge. So I'm basically sculpting a trench around the perimeter of the top, as you can see from the lighter area in the picture. Once I've gotten the bottom of the trench in the neighborhood of .110" thick, I'll start working on the center area. Then I'll smooth the thick part into the thin part. Then I'll do all that again on the back.

I'm using 3M sanding sponges and a gooseneck cabinet scraper. If I had a random orbital sander, I could probably accomplish this in less time. If I could burnish a scraper worth a damn, I could work more smoothly and consistently instead of having to go back and fix the little bits of tearout. If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.

Scrape sand sand scrape scrape sand sand sand scrape.

No comments: