Saturday, October 6, 2007

Weaning Myself off the Glass Teat, continued

I hadn't realized how addicted I was.

You know the scene in The Good Thief where Nick Nolte decides to break his heroin addiction so he can pull off the big heist, so he has Nutsa Kukhianidze handcuff him to his bed and feed him ice cream while he toughs out his withdrawal? And while he's in his delirium she's climbing on top of him in her bra and panties, trying to taunt him, but he's too out of it to notice or care? That's what last night was like. Except I wasn't handcuffed to the bed, and I didn't have any ice cream, and Nutsa Kukhianidze was nowhere in sight, and if she had been, I probably would have noticed.

Ok, it wasn't anything like that.

But it was rough! Just knowing that I couldn't plonk down on the sofa and check out of my brain. It's not like there's anything interesting on on Friday nights, anyway. Pathetic.

Today is a little better, but still. My god. No more Seinfeld reruns. No more Law and Order SVU marathons. No more of those damned Monday nights when the SciFi Channel runs endless back-to-back episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise. No more Good Eats, No Reservations, The Shield, or Iron Chef America.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I probably will have to reconnect when Battlestar Galactica starts up again next year. I know my limits.

4 comments:

T said...

You can do it! And remember--if you *really* need a fix, lots of shows can be downloaded from iTunes (if you have the disk space).

Rob said...

Sure, I'll be doing a lot of that--damned if I'm going cold turkey on the Daily Show--but it's not really the same. It's not just about the shows, you know? The habit is the thing. It's just like cigarettes. I'll still download shows that I actually want to watch, but this thing where I use the TV just to fill time or relieve boredom, that's what I'm really kicking here.

Where's that goddamned ice cream?

T said...

...all this means it's time to go out and buy some trashy novels, which also go perfectly with ice cream!

Di said...

Great decision. I'm prone to similar ones from time to time, as you know.

The best thing is, you can have it reconnected within hours if you want to ;)