Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Vienna Vegetable Orchestra

Worldwide one of a kind, the Vegetable Orchestra performs on instruments made of fresh vegetables. The utilization of various ever refined vegetable instruments creates a musically and aesthetically unique sound universe.

The Vegetable Orchestra was founded in 1998. It consists of 11 musicians, a sound engineer and a video artist. Based in Vienna, the Vegetable Orchestra plays concerts in Europe and Asia. From time to time workshops are given - on how to manufacture an instrument or on musical topics.

There are no musical boundaries for the Vegetable Orchestra. The most diverse music styles fuse here - contemporary music, beat-oriented House tracks, experimental Electronic, Free Jazz, Noise, Dub, Clicks'n'Cuts - the musical scope of the ensemble expands consistently, and recently developed vegetable instruments and their inherent sounds often determine the direction.

A concert of the Vegetable Orchestra appeals to all the senses. As an encore at the end of the concert and the video performance, the audience is offered fresh vegetable soup.

Jet turned me on to this. It's one of the the coolest things I've seen lately.

7 comments:

T said...

TCMTC!

An Briosca Mor said...

Pretty much takes the concept of playing with your food to a whole new level, doesn't it? Still, you'd think they could have come up with a vegetable sound system too, or at least some soup cans connected by twined-up corn floss, huh?

And do you think they serve the vegetable instruments as hors d'oeuvres at the post-concert reception?

T said...

Mmmm, tasty! I meant to say: all this reminds me of the various things Aran used to build (and maybe still does?) out of vegetables and fruits--notably, the carrot flute (you guys were at Augusta that year, right) and the, er, implement for enjoying controlled substances, made from an apple. I particularly enjoyed that one :-)

Jeanette said...

Hee. The intersection of food and music? You were the first person I thought of!

An Briosca Mor said...

I never did actually see the carrot flute that Aaron made myself, but I know the legend that it is. I did get to try the eight-key he made when I was out at the shop the other day picking up my new old flute, though, and it is pretty sweet. I think the kid may have a future in flute-making, unless he lets himself get distracted by the probably much bigger opportunity to manufacture systems for ingesting controlled substances, that is.

Ed Bruske said...

you're right--that's incredible

Ed Bruske said...

in the Six Degrees of Separation category, my post about the Veg Orchestra, inspired by your post, got picked up by the Ethicurean.

http://www.ethicurean.com/2007/09/30/veggie-music/

keep it coming