Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wednesday morning wage slave coffee mix

  • Dear god. Oh, my. Ruhlman had a magnificent rant on his blog the other day on the Shame of the Chicken Caesar Salad, and yesterday afternoon he revealed his attempt to redeem the dish: the Chicken Fried Pork Belly Confit Caesar. It's an eloquent political and cultural statement, a howl against the horrific ubiquitous mediocrity and feeble imagination rampant in American culture, and it looks so damn good. See, this is why food matters. Guess what I'll be making this weekend.

  • In looking for a definition of "sockdologist," I found this Compendium of Lost Words, which has the potential to be a major time-suck. Since I've got a lot to do today, I've confined myself to A-E, where may be found such treasures as "ascoliasm" (a boys' game of beating each other with gloves or leather while hopping), "brephophagist" (one who eats babies), "dodrantal" (of nine inches in length), and "egrote" (to feign an illness). How have I gone so long without knowing about this?

  • Speaking of brephophagists: if you can stand a minute or so of looking at the jowly face of evil, check out Dick Cheney's thoughts on invading Baghdad, circa 1994:


    I think if I had that much cognitive dissonance going on, my skull would cave in. (Thanks, Tina.)

2 comments:

An Briosca Mor said...

Rob, you should jump the gun on what is likely to be Ruhlman's next rant with a rant of your own. Of course that rant would be on the ubiquity of creme brulee as the nation's idea of dessert. Wanna bet that Cheesecake Factory has either a Creme Brulee Cheesecake or a Cheesecake Creme Brulee on its menu? (If not both.) Of course you could start with the bruleed bread pudding you were served apparently by mistake that one day at RiRa as you riff toward a suitable suggested replacement for the banal and ubiquitous CB. (Not the guy who plays with Doc, of course...)But if you do do this I will expect at least as much credit for the idea as I will get from Josh for letting him play my C flute better than I ever will on that recording he's doing. Okay?

Rob said...

John I think you're far more qualified to comment on that subject than I am. Actually I don't mind being served creme brulee in a restaurant because there's a fair likelihood it was actually made in-house rather than brought in on the Sodexho truck. As opposed to molten chocolate cake, for example.