Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Semi-fogbound early morning rooster mix

  • As I was lying in bed this morning, slowly uncrumpling into a state of semi-wakefulness, I heard a rooster crow. I love living in Takoma Park.

  • Was anyone surprised that a Liberty University student was arrested with homemade bombs in his car at Jerry Falwell's funeral? According to ABC News, "The student, 19-year-old Mark D. Uhl of Amissville, Va., reportedly told authorities that he was making the bombs to stop protesters from disrupting the funeral service." The obvious question of when Jesus said it was ok to blow people up aside, I wonder how explosions and body parts flying through the air would have been less disruptive to the funeral. But I guess they aren't too big on logic at Liberty U., are they? Seriously, the mind just boggles.

  • Joss Whedon (who I've almost forgiven for my earworm of the last three days) on Dua Khalil and the movie Captivity: "How did more than half the people in the world come out incorrectly? I have spent a good part of my life trying to do that math, and I'm no closer to a viable equation. And I have yet to find a culture that doesn't buy into it. Women's inferiority--in fact, their malevolence--is as ingrained in American popular culture as it is anywhere they're sporting burkhas. I find it in movies, I hear it in the jokes of colleagues, I see it plastered on billboards, and not just the ones for horror movies. Women are weak. Women are manipulative. Women are somehow morally unfinished ... And the logical extension of this line of thinking is that women are, at the very least, expendable." Go read the rest.

  • And these two posts have convinced me of my hopeless poseurness. I bet John has a pig's head in a vacuum-sealed bag in his freezer right now.

6 comments:

T said...

According to my mom, who saw some sort of news coverage about the would-be Liberty bomber while I was cavorting in C-ville on Tuesday, the protesters Uhl hoped to confound are also Baptists. Go figure.

As for Whedon--he is, of course, so right, but all this is nothing new to feminist theory.... (Which doesn't take anything away from him saying it, mind you.)

And my grandfather used to eat boiled hog's head. No fancy terrine or head cheese for him--the head would sit on a platter on the table, and he'd take a fork to the cheek or whichever meaty part struck his fancy. He would eat this for breakfast. As a child/teenager, all I asked was fair warning so I could eat my own breakfast outside or in another room.

Rob said...

Baptists protesting against Falwell, eh? Cool!

And no, nothing JW says is particularly new, but have you SEEN the ads for Captivity? Really, we're in the stone age.

I confess I'm really tempted to process a pig's head of my own. I mean, if you haven't cooked it yourself, how do you know your head cheese is really head cheese and not some other kind of cheese? And the head is supposed to have the tastiest meat on the animal. Provided you're ok with looking your meal in the face.

T said...

Looking meat in the face...something I was never prepared to do, although now I guess it's a moot point: how much meat is there really on the head of a chicken? (I don't mind fish heads staring up at me from the plate.)

I'm not sure what the Baptists were protesting...probably that Falwell wasn't extreme enough! 'Tis a scary world we live in. And contrary to my expectations, my mother asserted that "Falwell was a good man." I asked her how that could possibly be, with his anti-gay, racist etcetera. She didn't have an answer for that.

Believe it or not, I haven't seen the ads for Captivity, despite the amount of television I've seen lately. Ugh. But we've been in the stone age for quite some time (see the postfeminist movement for confirmation...short but to-the-point article here).

Rob said...

Hm. I'm confused. Check this out. "Investigators determined that Uhl had problems with a group that protested at the funeral, Gaddy said. Fred Phelps and his Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church sent about a dozen members to protest across the street from the funeral, claiming Falwell was a friend to gays." Emphasis is mine. Go figure. I might be tempted to bomb them too, just for being criminally silly.

This passage struck me from that article you linked: "Vogue then asserts that such charges are false and wrong, and that the true progressive position for women (because it’s healthy—don’t you love it?) is to embrace hyper-thinness as a body ideal."

Do you know Caroline Knapp's book on eating disorders, Appetites? She makes the point (drives it home with a sledgehammer, actually) that the drive many women have to be insanely, scarily thin is very deliberately the opposite of the desire to be healthy, because healthy means strong, and we know how scary strong women are in our culture. Better to diet yourself down to a skeleton and just disappear..

T said...

No, I don't know Knapp's book--but it sounds like I should! I would buy that argument, although I'm sure it's not necessarily the thing most teenage girls think of. But our society certainly supports that idea of women.

That's a total HOOT about the group protesting Falwell...well, yet another reason to avoid extremist Baptist groups in Kansas (not that I was planning to seek them out...).

Ugh. It all makes me sick. Or makes me want to move to Canada, or Holland...hell, gay marriage is even legal in South Africa....

Rob said...

I did a little more research and found a documentary by Louis Theroux on Phelps's group. It's on YouTube in six parts. Here's the first part.

Phelps's people believe God duped Bush into getting the US into the Iraq war as punishment for our tolerance of homosexuality. They're a very, hm, colorful bunch of people.