Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Good Riddance


"It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening."

"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being."

"I do question the sincerity and non-violent intentions of some civil rights leaders such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mr. James Farmer, and others, who are known to have left-wing associations."

"I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this [the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001] happen.'"

"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharoah's charioteers."

"The Jews are returning to their land of unbelief. They are spiritually blind and desperately in need of their Messiah and Savior."

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"


Of course it's rude and tacky and disrespectful to cackle with delight at someone's death. But you know, I'm ok with that.

So long, you big fat jerk.

14 comments:

Mike said...

The one about Martin Luther King and James Farmer is the best thing I've heard since Dick Cheney cautioned that the fall of the Berlin Wall was some sort of ruse.

Rob said...

Cheney really said that? I guess I should expect nothing less, but still. That's hilarious and terrifying.

An Briosca Mor said...

I forget who it was that said this back in the day, but they were right: The Moral Majority is neither. Now, with their big blowhard down, their "majority" has lessened, but their collective morality has increased exponentially. Perhaps the rest of them will now make the truly moral choice and slink off into oblivion. We can only hope...

Rob said...

I think it's a shame that he was merely "found unresponsive" in his office instead of, say, being stabbed by a gay midget prostitute in Tijuana. But I'll take what we can get.

t said...

I can't wait to get down to Lunchbag to see what the vibe is down there...celebrations in the streets? Flags at half mast? (though certainly not on municipal buildings...he was such a thorn in city management's side....) If my mother were the sort of person to rejoice over anyone's death, I'd suggest we have cake to celebrate. Oh, well.

Orion said...

I knew you'd have something to say about this occurance, so I just had to log on to see your comments. "So long you big fat jerk." That about sums it up. It's difficult to understand someone who held the kind of beliefs this man did. I wonder if he really believed half of the evil and outrageous things he said, or merely said them to get noticed. It's truly frightening when you think about the amount of young people he may have influenced, especially those who attended the university he founded.

Rob said...

The hails of outrage that failed to issue from the mainstream Christian community in response to the diseased, hate-filled screeds of Falwell and his ilk have a lot to do with why I am not a Christian. Silence equals acquiescence.

Rob said...

Man, that pic of Falwell I've got up there is giving me the heebie-jeebies. It's as bad as the one I found of Rachael Ray.

An Briosca Mor said...

I think Falwell ate more than a few giant suckers in his day. Goodness knows, he sucked in a giant way!

Ed Bruske said...

Second that emotion. Meanwhile, they are in deep public mourning in Lynchburg. Not to far from Blacksburg and V Tech. Hard to know how to feel about those Virginians. On second thought, not so hard...

t said...

Ed, with all due respect (and plenty of it, since I really enjoy reading your blog), as a Virginian (though probably not what you mean by "those Virginians") I must point out that even in Lynchburg I'm sure plenty of people are doing the subtle equivalent of dancing in the streets. Even Christian Lynchburgers took issue with Jerry's way of running roughshod over city council, not to mention all his anti-everything invective. And although I have plenty of problems with Lynchburg and many of its people (I grew up there), it goes without saying that it's no more fair lump all Virginians (or Lynchburgers) in with the Jerryites than it is to say that all Korean college students are liable to go on a murderous rampage.

Now--it's time for me to brave the drive down to Lunchbag...I'm not sure whether I'll find lots of traffic going into the town or a mass exodus outward! Or, probably more likely, no noticeable change.

Mike said...

Apparently, at least according to Wikipedia, Rev. Falwell also supported apartheid and disparaged Archbishop Tutu.

(Then again, I discovered that as I was toying with the idea of editing his Wikipedia entry myself. It omits, for example, the fact that Falwell served from 1999-2005 as editor of a bestiality 'zine called Snout.)

Rob said...

That's right, that's another infamous declaration of his. "If Bishop Tutu maintains that he speaks for the black people of South Africa, he's a phony." He later told NPR he only said that to attract the attention of the media.

So are you going to set that Wikipedia entry straight?

Rob said...

This week's Life in Plastic Pants is a must-read.