Monday, April 23, 2007

Morrissey is Coming!

To Wolf Trap! In July!

Oh, how I used to sneer at his devoted fans twenty years ago. Even watching him now, I'm wanting to go back in time and find all the fragle anorexic mushroom-colored ambiguously gendered Morrissey-worshipping protowaifs I knew then and yell at them, come on! It's a joke! Look, it's a bright, sparkly little pop song, the lyrics are about alienation, self-pity, and morbid fear of sex, and he's got a ficus tree shoved up his ass! How could this not be comedy? It's like a more subtle Spinal Tap.


I honestly couldn't tell if he was a brilliant comedian or if he really needed someone to smack him one. Regardless, his bandmate Johnny Marr is among my favorite guitarists, and some songs they did--"How Soon is Now?" for example--are true masterworks. Even though that particular song was instrumental in a breakup I had.


I couldn't help it. I heard him singing
I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
and I started hooting with laughter, and my girlfriend knew at that moment what an insensitive boob I was, and ... well, there it was.


When his album You are the Quarry came out a couple of years ago, the Washington Post hailed it as "a cheery mass of self-loathing, generalized loathing, irony, misanthropy and angst." It's nice to see how consistent he's managed to be throughout his career.

Lori and I are planning to go to the show and sit on the lawn and guzzle beer and have a nice picnic of animal products. We might get thrown out. I would so love that.

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

P and I like to listen to Morriswy and just laugh and laugh. we were truly made for each other.

Jeanette said...

Meh. Kan''t tipe aafter 9 pm, sorree, but you knew what I meant.

T said...

Ha! Brilliant! I still have a bunch of Smiths stuff on the iPod...and I remember realizing what a twee little dork my first high school boyfriend was because he took "Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" seriously (and totally ignored "Girlfriend in a Coma"...). But anyway.

Different band, but if I could go back in time, one thing I would do would be to be a fly on the wall for Dusty Springfield recording with the Pet Shop Boys....

Rob said...

Heh. Mowissey is what bwings you togethew, eh Jet?

As for the Pet Shop Boys, anyone who can do a mashup of "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Can't Take My Eyes off of You" gets props from me for sheer evil genius. It's almost as good--ALMOST, mind you--as the LaBrea Stompers' medley of "Oh Superman" and "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."

T said...

I haven't heard either of those! Must try to remedy that ASAP, but YouTube isn't providing (in my cursory glance).

Rob said...

Here it is.

Rob said...

I mean, the PSB song. As far as I know the LaBrea Stompers never recorded the "O Superman" cover.

T said...

Cool. I also had to watch the one they do with Dusty Springfield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYoTOcEX3g).
Great stuff altogether--but the YouTube comments do seem to be a magnet for anti-gay slurs....

Mike said...

So are the Smothers Brothers. (I mention this mainly so your blog will show up when someone googles "Morrisey + Smothers Brothers.")

hsempl said...

i went through a morrissey phase but about 10 years after everyone else (i'd never heard of the smiths; i'd say morrissey's great and people would say i love the smiths and i'd say who are the smiths?). some of his songs are really helpful.

i realize i'm exposing both my cluelessness and musical tastes.

he's the male madonna. and i'm sure i'm not the first to note that.

smothers brothers are nice, too! i've never heard of the la brea stompers, but i love the name.

Rob said...

Oh, thank you so much for that mental image of Morrissey in a cone bra. I hope you have nightmares about circus midgets.

But isn't he kind of asexual for that? I imagine he (or his persona, anyway) as maybe fantasizing about being the male Madonna, but being too inhibited and eaten up with self-doubt and insecurity to ever realize that fantasy, and hating Madonna, just hating her for being what he can never be, and going home and writing about it in his diary before putting on his Cinderella pyjamas and crying himself to sleep.

The Stompers were a band based in Athens, Georgia around the time I was in graduate school. They were masters of extreme low-tech, and imho just one of the greatest bands ever. They made their debut at a folk music open-mic night (the "Monday Night Hoot") at Sparky's Seafood. Jim, their lead singer, wore a Waffle House waitress uniform, and their drummer played (with brushes) a mailbox that he'd liberated from the antique shop adjacent to the restaurant. They brought the house down.

hsempl said...

morrissey's very sexual. which doesn't go against all you said. he's the angst ridden perpetual teenager of the soul. and yes i'm positive it's all completely tongue in cheek. those thorns on the butt, Jesus!

hmm. i can't find any LBS i can listen to online, but i do see that they've covered "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"