Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Gobi Aloo Bhaji

My little veggie kick continues, not that it will last much beyond the next time I'm in the same room with a piece of bacon. Lord Krishna's Cuisine hilariously translates the name of this dish as "cauliflower potato surprise." This is so easy that I feel absurd giving a recipe for it, but it's too good not to share.

Start by toasting a teaspoon of whole cumin seeds in a pan over medium-high heat until they're dark brown and smelling wonderful. Transfer them to a small mortar and wield a pestle on them till they're a fine powder. Add 1/8 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp. turmeric, and 1 tsp. salt, and set aside.

Heat your oven to 375 degrees. Start your rice cooking. Cut a head of cauliflower into small florets. Cut a potato into 1/4" half-moons. Toss the cauliflower and spuds with peanut oil, spread them on a baking sheet, and stick them in the oven till they're golden brown, turning and shaking them every now and then. LKC says to deep-fry the veggies, but I like the lighter texture I get by oven-roasting them.

Toss the veggies with the spices, then stir in 1 cup plain yogurt. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro leaves and serve it forth.

(Illustration flagrantly stolen from Achewood and used without permission. I feel terrible about it.)



Of course what happened at V-Tech Monday was tragic and horrible, but it wasn't surprising in the least. When it comes to regulating firearms, our lawmakers are still stuck in the Wild West. In our country, the right to bear arms is considered more holy and inviolable than the right to decent healthcare or a living wage. If I wanted to, I could drive down to Virginia right now, go into a gun shop, and purchase the ability to kill anybody I wanted. No permit required. No waiting period. The only thing keeping me from laying waste to my office or wrecking havoc on the Metro is the fact that I just don't want to. Like most adults, I'm mature and socialized and I know that killing people invariably creates many more problems than it solves.

Thing is, there's nothing keeping someone who's less well-balanced from going out and buying the tools to raise whatever hell they want. As long as that's the case, we should expect the occasional act of unimaginable heinousness. Such is the price for our Second Amendment rights.

Are you ok with that? Because I'm not.

1 comment:

T said...

Nope, I'm not ok with that, either. I guess that went without saying, though, didn't it? :-)

But I am *totally* ok with your vegetarian Indian cooking kick, even if I don't have time to try to replicate any of them myself--although J & I do have the ingredients on hand to try saag paneer when we get a chance, though with tofu in place of the paneer. Not sure when at all we'll have time to cook anything that requires more effort than an egg, though.