Thursday, March 8, 2007

Thursday Night Mix

  • I've had "Rio" by Duran Duran playing in my head for the last 24 hours. I'm having to take extreme measures.


  • To add insult to annoyance, I just found out I missed China Mieville's appearance at Politics and Prose last month. ARGH! I was in California anyway, so maybe it's ok that I didn't know. But -- damn it! Bad enough that I also had to miss Mastodon (the Greatest Band Of Our Time). This is getting to be a rough time for me and artists I admire.

  • Dinner tonight: meatloaf, via an old Cook's Illustrated recipe. It's in the oven right now, smelling really amazingly incredibly good.

    For the glaze, mix 1/4 cup ketchup and 2 tbsp. each brown sugar and red wine vinegar. Set aside.

    Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Saute a small onion (medium dice) and a couple of cloves of garlic (minced) in vegetable oil till translucent. In a large mixing bowl, combine an egg, 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp. Dijon mustard, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, a healthy squirt of hot sauce (I use Sriracha), and 1 1/2 tbsp. milk or yogurt. Add a pound of "meatloaf mix" (i.e., beef, pork, and veal ground together; I can usually find this at my local Giant Food), along with 2/3 cup bread crumbs, the cooked onion and garlic, and maybe three sprigs of parsley (minced). Mix all this together with a fork. Turn it out onto a foil-lined baking pan and pat it into a loaflike shape. Brush it with the glaze. Swaddle it with slices of bacon. Bake till the bacon is crisp and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, about an hour. Let rest for 15-20 minutes. Serve with the remaining glaze on the side.

  • I'm putting off taking action on the Goon situation. He's plainly well-fed and healthy, and I strongly suspect that he's simply wheedling me. He's a great one for the wheedling.

6 comments:

T said...

BUMMER about missing China Mieville. I guess that means that I probably also missed him here, which is also a bummer.

Goon *does* look pretty well-fed for an outdoor kitty looking for a home....

Mike said...

If it's any comfort, China Mieville's appearance was almost certainly in reference to a children's book. Yes: his latest is a children's book, and Ruthie is halfway through it. Something involving mean-looking carnivorous giraffes.

(Then again, how could that possibly be any comfort?)

On a brighter note, the word for the day for March 6 in my Forgotten English calendar was "poupics," defined as "a mess of victuals made of veal steaks and slices of bacon."

Rob said...

Yeah, I did manage to snag a signed copy of "Un Lun Dun." I'm going to plow into as soon as I finish rereading "The Three Musketeers." There was a glowing review of it in Salon recently.

Mmmm... poupics...

Rob said...

Hey, I just remembered. "Pupik" is Yiddish for bellybutton. I wonder if there's some obscure etymology going on there.

Meow said...

Oh, wheedling. No, I'm simply being my sweet, humble self. Really...you could try me for just a bit and if no one notices I'm missing, and if everything works out...well, I'd happily help you finish off that meatloaf! - G

Rob said...

Mmmmmmm-hm. Right. I'm sure you will. Big orange slab of cat that you are.