Friday, March 2, 2007

Heart Food

Bearnaise sauce has my vote for the single most delicious substance on earth. The lovely dry-aged ribeye I got tonight from Whole Foods tonight was merely a delivery device for it.

For one: combine two tbsp. red wine vinegar, a minced shallot, leaves from three sprigs of tarragon, and 1/4 tsp. cracked peppercorns in a small pan. Boil, reduce by half, and strain into a bowl that will sit nicely in the top of a small saucepan.

Spuds: batonnet cut, toss in olive oil, spread on a baking sheet, put in a 450-degree oven for twenty minutes or so. Shake them every now and then. Salt and pepper when they're done. Or follow John's directions for doing them the right way.

Pan-fry your steak in lots of butter or olive oil to an internal temperature of 120 degrees. In the meantime put about an inch of water into your small saucepan and bring it to a boil. While your steak is resting, seperate an egg and plunk the yolk into the bowl with the reduced vinegar. (Save the white for another use. Like meringues. You make meringues all the time, right? I know I do. Every morning I whip up a batch of them. I like to dance a merengue while they're in the oven.) Place the bowl in the saucepan over the boiling water, and beat the yolk into the vinegar with a fork. Keep beating it. This is supposed to be a difficult sauce to make, but it's dead easy as long as you keep beating that yolk so it emulsifies smoothly instead of scrambling. The yolk will thicken slightly. When that starts to happen, beat in three tablespoons of butter, tablespoon by tablespoon. Stir in about two more sprigs' worth of minced tarragon and spoon over your steak. There will be a lot of it, the better for dredging your spuds through.

Writing about this is making me salivate; never mind that I finished my dinner half an hour ago.

(The new blog title is in honor of the Latino grocery a couple of blocks from my house. It isn't really called "Super Cow," but for obvious reasons it should be.)

3 comments:

Mike said...

Until I can provide a photo, it bears explaining that the neighborhood establishment decently known as Super Cow calls itself Universal Supermarket (which is no less grandiose) and it has a big illuminated sign with a cow on it. A super cow. I'm going to marry the woman who came up with that.

It's just the place if you need Salvadoran quesa blanca, tamarind-flavored soft drinks or those cakey yellow buns topped with pink sugar such that they look like tribbles.

Rob said...

They frequently have pretty decent tamales, too. I also got a package of bacon there that was a year past its sell-by date.

Mike said...

The bacon might have been a typo, but their milk did induce my household to get a delivery account with www.southmountaincreamery.com.

Meanwhile, I must amend my previous post: I am not marrying the person who coined "Super Cow." I'm marrying her mom.